Saturday, September 11, 2010

The move to Japan Diet

Yes, I have been studying my ass off. Yes, it has been a number of days since I posted. Yes, I have lost somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds. I haven’t been on a scale since I got here, but I am having trouble keeping my pants from sliding off my hips which usually happens between 15 and 20 pounds.

There is a good reason that I am losing weight. Everything you do in Japan is physically more difficult. Well not everything, 99% of the things you do in Japan are physically more difficult. The train station and the supermarket are about an equal distance from my apartment, about a mile and a half. I always do at least one of these walks, and about half the days of the week I do both of them. That’s 3 to 6 miles a day depending, but that is just the beginning. On my way to the train, I climb up two flights of stairs to use the overpass over the highway. I go down two flights of stairs to get off the overpass, I go down two more flights on this steep slope on my walk. When I get to the station I go up one flight to get to the entrance. I get my train, and if it is busy I strap hang for the 30 minutes it takes to get to Shibuya station. At the station I go down two flights of stairs to get to the street, and walk through two sets of JR rail buildings to get to my bus (about 2 blocks) after I get off my bus it is another two blocks to get to school and then since my class is on the 2nd floor I take the stairs. After class reverse the process which means 4 blocks, up six flights of stairs and down two, and a mile and half back. That is just my usual commute to school. It doesn’t count any day I go to the store and back (about three miles) or run errands (two to six miles depending), and I do almost all of this while wearing a backpack full of either books or groceries.

I literally walk my ass off. It is lying somewhere in the middle of Inokashira Dori right now.

Even the everyday stuff you do to run your life is more taxing. I sleep on a futon so I can’t just roll out of bed, I have to push my butt up off of the floor. About 75% of all the trash is recycled so it has to be sorted and washed and carried to the recycling bins at the supermarket. Nobody uses a dryer so everything has to be hung on the veranda and then taken down later. You spend a lot of time sitting on the floor so there is a lot of getting up and down. Living in Japan is a constant workout.

I am eating. I am eating everything in sight. There are things you will not find in Japan, like fat free potato chips, or low fat low sugar snacks. People here don’t need them. I eat onigiri (rice balls), noodles, sashimi, sushi, vegetables, candy, ice cream pops, rice crackers and drink loads of tea and diet sodas (yes the one thing they do have here that is low sugar). It’s an awesome diet, I eat whatever looks good, whenever I want it.

Well kiddies, I have to put my nose back on the grindstone. I will try to post sooner this time. For those of you who are thinking “where the hell was the hand picture she mentioned last time.” I wrote the post thinking that I had taken a picture of that drawing and I hadn’t. In class on Monday I am going to ask Daisuke Sensei to let me take a picture of it and I will post it soon. I also got an assignment in my humanities class to write a three page essay on my beliefs, I am going to post it soon and hopefully you guys can give me some feedback on it to help me polish it.
I am missing everybody soooo much!

7 comments:

  1. All that food sounds yummy~I want onigiri! If I want some around here I have to make it myself and.... yeah, that's not gonna happen.

    I'm curious, do all the teachers speak Japanese to you or is it like Suzuki sensei and it's like half and half?

    Keep up the good work! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie,
    In my Japanese subject classes (right now Japanese and Kanji)my teachers only speak in Japanese. But in my Art and Humanities classes my teachers only speak in English. Later on I have to take what are called Japanese content classes (Japanese history, traditional Japanese arts, etc...) and those will probably be half and half.

    Big hugs-Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get out of the country, Sweetie. I don't want this to happen to you:

    http://www.wimp.com/rubberball/

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm sounds like I need to move to Japan. It will be all the rage Liz, I can see it now. Americans moving to Japan to lose 20+ lbs. Now we just need to convince Japan to start issuing Visa's for it!

    PS- IM ENGAGED!! WOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cami,

    Congratulations! I am so excited for you. Next time you post a comment, tell me all about him.

    Hugs Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, Saw Dave and Morgan this morning at the bus stop. You left a MONTH ago....I am seriously behind. It your journey sounds amazing. I will check in for more updates...you are a good writer.

    Be safe...have fun drawing...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz,

    I am a friend of your sister Donna, she uses my office to get on what you are doing. Well now I need to know what is going on. I think what you are doing is just crazy, something housewives dream about but don't have the guts to do. I wish you well and look forward to the next post. YOU GO GIRL....
    Mary DiDonato

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to express yourself honestly and I am obviously not the language police. I would, however, like everyone to avoid personal attacks and attempt to keep the discourse civil.