Saturday, September 25, 2010

I was waiting...





Some of you may be wondering why I haven't posted in almost two weeks.

I figured if I waited long enough I would get some feedback on my essay.

Katie and Tara are safe.

Some of the rest of you are not.

I think you know who you are. But just in case...

Sarah Elizabeth and Nikki, Katherine, April and Donna (who told my mother she wanted to post about me being crazy, but she wussed out before she did) there are others but this will do for now. I may be on the other side of the planet at the moment, but I will be coming home eventually. When I get home I am going to beat ya'll like you owe me money. I wait for either posts to my blog from ya'll or at least a pitiful email every once in a while, and what do I get...not a sausage. Oh yes, beatings will be forthcoming. Except for Katie and Tara, they get cookies.

As for the guys over at Skeptic Friends...I have seen you all do five thousand words arguing about the wording of one post. Somebody could have read the damn essay and at least posted "pitiful" or "pointless". Kil, Filthy and Halfmooner I am looking directly at you three.

Now that I have gotten that ugly business out of the way.

Things here in Nihon are strange but quiet. I spend so much of my time studying to keep up with my classes that I am starting to feel like a monk. I really only get out and about during my commute. Commute-class-study-commute-home-study, five hours studying here...seven hours there...it all adds up. When I have studied so much that I begin to forget basic survival information (when to eat, how to get dressed...) I take the day off and wander around some of the different neighborhoods in Tokyo.

These excursions have an ultimate purpose (beyond the shopping that I accidentally do along the way.) At the beginning of next month, I have to start looking for an apartment. So far the only neighborhood I am interested in, is this place called Kichijouji. Its not huge like Shinjuku or Shibuya but it is full of tons of small shops and restaurants interspersed with a couple of convenient chain stores (Seiyu for one which is sort of like a Target but with a wider range of services.) I have found out to my dismay that Kichijouji is not just popular with me but with every other human being in Japan. In other words it is more expensive and it is more difficult to get an apartment there.

Since Kichijouji may end up out of my reach, I have started searching other neighborhoods one-by-one. When you don't have a car there are a lot of things that you have to take into consideration. First and most important is; how far do I have to walk to get to the train station? Virtually everything in Japan revolves around what the nearest train station is and how far away it is. Second on the list is; Is there a supermarket in walking distance? I do not mind a twenty minute walk to the station or the supermarket but in some places there is no supermarket even close. Unlike most of my friends at school, I am not happy with the idea of surviving on convenience store sandwiches and onigiri combined with the occasional trip to the ramen stand. I need actually produce, meat and grains in order to remain walking upright. The lesser considerations are the actual apartment itself (amenities, size, whether it has all of it's walls...). Location first, everything else is negotiable.

I am actually looking for a studio. A studio is one room with a little kitchen nook and a bathroom. It sounds tiny, but right now I spend about 90% of my time at home in my room anyway and I have included a picture of my room now to give you an idea of the comparison.

Well kidlings, in the time it took me to write this, I have forgotten 25% of the vocab I memorized this morning...so I gotta run.

I have included a couple of my newest drawing assignments. Katie asked to see my Maneki Neko I won at the matsuri, you can tell how small it is because I have it propped up with a 50 yen piece. You can tell by my still life that I have major problems with perspective.

Missing everbody.
Liz

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl, you have to cut me some slack over here. I have been completely immersed in writing 5 page papers for UVA back to back (my third is due this week). But I have great news for you. Both of the classes that I am taking right now are geared towards writing at UVA standards. So now I am going to head on over to your essay and see if I can work my UVA magic on it. See so I wasn't ignoring your essay per se, I was just waiting to gain the necessary knowledge to help you out!! That and I am also engaged now so wedding planning has taken over my entire life. Hope all is well. Your drawings look awesome by the way. Such a HUGE improvement over your drawings in bio lab. Did you send your blog to professor...oh crap I forgot his name? You know the dude we took for BIO 102, I think he would be so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your room is small. I can't imagine being cramped up in there; I hope you find a good place soon!

    Thanks for posting the Maneki Neko, it's cute! And the drawing is nice too.

    To be fair to everyone else, I've been blog-stalking you. I check pretty much everyday for updates because that's how I am.

    (p.s. It's not a HUGE deal but my name is spelled Katey =p)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,
    First: What do you mean a new apartment? I thought this place was a done deal. No? Details please.
    Second, I, like Katey blog stalk you almost every day or every other day.
    I love reading them and anyone nearby I either have them read your blog or I read it out loud. We love sharing your Japanese adventures.
    Third, I got a new job - starting today Monday! No more personal training and financially struggling. I start at Koons Arlington as their
    Customer Relations Manager. Cross your fingers. Say a prayer. I was going to sell cars, but the VP of Operations called me into his office during my training & now I've got a salaried J.O.B.
    Love ya,
    T
    PS - I'll be looking for those cookies come December. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to express yourself honestly and I am obviously not the language police. I would, however, like everyone to avoid personal attacks and attempt to keep the discourse civil.